Did you know that approximately 40% of your electric bill is attributed to air conditioning energy usage in the summer? How can you keep your house cool this summer without the added expense of turning your thermostat down?
Try following these simple and cost effective steps to cool your house during Georgia’s summer heat…you’ll save energy, money and reduce the stress on your air conditioner.
• Use ceiling fans to create a wind chill effect to make you more comfortable. When used with your air conditioner, a ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort.These easy and low cost steps will help keep your home comfortable and save you money.
• Install a programmable thermostat to adjust the temperature to a higher setting at night or when no one is home. Remember, Sawnee offers a rebate for this device!
• Keep lamps and TVs away from your thermostat. The heat from these appliances may cause your air conditioner to run longer than is needed.
•Consider installing window shades, drapes or blinds with white backing to reflect the sun light and the associated heat away from the inside of your home.
• Be sure to close curtains on the southerly and westward facing windows of your home during the day to help keep unwanted sun light from adding heat to your home.
• Consider applying solar reflective window film on your southward facing windows.
• Make sure there’s adequate caulking and weather stripping at and around your windows and doors to prevent warm air from leaking into your home.
• On hot days, avoid using the oven, cook on the stove, use a microwave oven, or grill outside.